February 29, 2024

Pleasant Walk along the Schonbach River from Schangnau-Wald to Wiggen

Thursday February 29, 2024 -- This final day of February was the one day of the week that had the best forecast, many places showing pure sunshine all day, so I could not pass up the chance for another 10-km walk, and had my destination all planned out on Wednesday evening...

.... and then woke up to an entire country (or at least those regions which I could reach within a two-hour trip by train and bus) covered in high fog, which didn't look like it would be dissipating any time soon!

My plan was to leave by 9:11, and until then I kept a good eye on the webcams from the areas I had wanted to walk, but had to give up on that plan as the fog just wasn't lifting. I finally risked heading out at about 11 a.m., which would still get me to one of my planned hikes (in the Entlebuch Region of Canton Luzern, 2¼-hours' trip from home). The hope was that when I got there, the fog would finally have lifted.

Which was indeed the case! I was headed south by bus along the Ilfis Valley toward Kemmeribodenbad, from where I was planning to complete a 2½-hour section of the "Alpine Panorama Trail" which we needed to complete, but I got out sooner, as the fog had lifted, and there was another trail I wanted to walk along a small river back out of the same valley. It was the perfect decision. The air temperature was perfect, the trail not at all boring (even though I can't go much more than two hours along a river trail), and I enjoyed another three hours of sunshine!

(Additional note: As the end of my hike in Wiggen was very near the Kambly Cookie Factory, I took a detour there to get Urs some more of his favourite cookies...). 

Here near Schangnau is where we ended a previous hike in October 2020 (photos HERE), so this is where I decided to start walking, and continue heading north toward Marbach. I started here shortly before 1 p.m. 

The stream here (called Schonbach) is not much more than a channel, but becomes wider as it gets further out of the valley. For most of the 9 km which I followed it, I walked on a small trail such as this one. 

I got off the bus at the Schangnau-Wald stop shortly before 1 p.m., made my way to the trail, and walked about 9 km (2 hours) alsmost exclusively next to the stream. I was about 10 minutes early for the 15:24 bus in Wiggen. The pink line near my starting point is the canton border, so I started in Canton Bern and crossed into Canton Luzern after only about five minutes of walking. 

Many such lovely farm buildings along the way

The next hamlet along the way is called Lauimühle

A look behind me shows the first higher mountains of Canton Bern, although these are on the north side of Lake Brienz. The passage between the two peaks is called the Sichle, and we still plan on crossing that pass one day. 

Along the way I set up my camera for a few self-timed photos, and the best ones are of me running to the place I think I should be standing for the photo!

At about 1:30 p.m. I got to the Marbachegg gondola cable-way, which is on the East side of the river where I am walking. (We rode this gondola in February 2019 when we did a really nice winter walk here. PHOTOS)

Looking up a side valley, I get the first look at the peaks of the Schrattenfluh range. This one is probably the "Hängst".

A particularly lovely farmhouse. 

First look at the large church in Marbach, on the other side of the river as well. 

There is always something interesting to see on people's properties as I pass near their houses. 

I didn't cross the river into Marbach to visit the church for a change....(as it turns out, I would have had time to do the detour)

From here to Wiggen is another 1¼ hours, and a short stretch is part of Trail no.65: "Grenzpfad Napfbergerland". 

A nice close-up view of the Schrattenfluh Range. 

Here I have to cross the river to the East side. There were many bridges across this river, and I crossed from West to East and back again many times. 


Crossing to the West side of the river again. This is a long straight stretch and I was worried that it would be boring, but it wasn't, actually. 

This self-timed photo worked well!

The horn at the very south end of the Schrattenfluh range is called the Schibegütsch, and it is possible to walk along that crest, although this is something we have not yet done. 

Back on the east side again!

I was very impressed with the way this tree has been trained to grow up the front side of the house.

Looking south behind me for a change. 


Trying out another self-timed photo! This time the view is up the Hilfere Valley to the north end of the Schrattenfluh

Another look south from the west side of the river. 

A small pond along the way. 

The peak on the left (north part of Schrattenfluh) is called Hächle

Shortly after 3 p.m. I was opposite the village of Wiggen. There was a bit of a detour to get to the church, near where I caught the 13:24 bus to Escholzmatt.

And a final look up the Schonbach River and the valley I just walked in, as I head to the bus stop near the church. 

All the hikes we have done in the Entlebuch Region around Marbach. 

Location of Marbach in the Entlebuch region of Canton Luzern. 



No comments: