February 13, 2024

Walk from Weggis to Greppen on the South Flank of Mount Rigi

Tuesday February 13th, 2024 -- This was the only nice and sunny day of the week, and the air was clear with a very good view of the mountains, so not wanting to waste this outdoors day, I had to find a trail I could walk alone, something that Urs would not miss out on! (He had to work all week, not even the Wednesday off).

There is a themed trail around all of Lake Lucerne called the "Waldstätterweg" and we have done all the interesting sections so far. There are only three sections left to do (mostly on paved roads, that's why we haven't walked them yet), and two of those sections offer great views of the mountains of Central Switzerland. As this is also very close to home, I chose to do one of those sections this day.

It ended up being an 11-km and 3-hour walk above the town of Weggis and around the Hertenstein Horn to Greppen on the south and west sides of Mount Rigi. It was an absolutely lovely day for it, and with the exception of a missed bus connection due to road-work in the area, a very nice and successful walk. The paved roads were not an issue as most of them are farm roads with little traffic, and I still managed to cover some narrow trails on pasture grounds.

This is Lake Luzern (Vierwaldstättersee) above the town of Weggis. In January of 2020, we took a bus from the lakeside to this spot higher on the mountain flank on the south side of Mt.Rigi, and hiked to the east to Vitznau. On this day I started at the same spot, but hiked toward the west. 

I'm heading west along Trail no.98: "Waldstätterweg". In Jan.2022 we walked to the east from here. 

A small van/bus goes up the residential area from the lakeside to Bodenberg, where I started my hike at 11:10. I got to Greppen at about 3 p.m. 

A view over Weggis as I walk along the road higher on the hill. The mountain on the left across the lake is the Bürgenstock, and the one straight ahead is Mt. Pilatus. 

A look eastward along Lake Zurich. 

Several of the houses along the way, all kinds of different ones. 

I hadn't planned on doing a detour, but there was a small hill here called "Rigiblick", a look-out point in 15 minutes. So I walked up there. 

This is the view from the summit of the small hill called "Rigiblick". ("Rigiblick" means "View of Rigi"). 

And this is the view of the Rigi!

Back down from the small hill, I now get a glimpse down the valley past the foot of Mt.Bürgenstock. The snow-covered mountains at the back are the Brienzer Rothorn range, which separates this valley from Lake Brienz on the south side. 

In between a couple of small trails. 


There are modern constructions here too!

I had realized that I forgot my water bottle at home, so I was glad to find this farm with a farm-shop, and hoped to buy something to drink here, but just my luck that they are on vacation this week! So I went three hours without drinking anything.

Lounging around enjoying the mild and sunny day!

Behind me is the Rigi range!

I saw some people by that tree on this hill, and figured there must be a nice view from there! But I had to walk across the pasture to get there, which isn't something I really like to do. (Farmers don't appreciate it, especially when the grass is high). 

View of the lake from the hilltop!

Boat heading to Weggis

Having a snack break!

I always love seeing the cats in their large meadows! There seems to be one cat in every pasture. 

Down below is a hotel and a small chapel called "Hügelkapelle Eggisbühl" (= "Eggisbühl Hill Chapel"). I took a little detour to the chapel 

The view from the chapel on the hill. 

Two little cuties at the Eggisbühl farm.

Looking behind me at the Eggisbühl farm, the "Formation Hotel", and the chapel on the hill. 

The mountain on the right is called Niederbauen. We have been up there before (Photos HERE) but not to the very summit. 

Looking south past Mt. Bürgenstock to Mt.Buochserhorn (right) and to the Oberbauen Massif (left).

I left the official Trail no.98 here, because this small trail (part of a Zurich Vitaparcours course) went in the same direction, and had more sunshine, and some really nice views, like here once again, Mt.Rigi.

Again, I'm being watched carefully...

First butterflies of the season!

I found a bench here along the edge of the forest and sat here for a while enjoying sunshine and views. 

One more look at the mountains of Canton Nidwalden on the south side of Lake Lucerne before heading down to the forestry road along the lake. 

Most of this stretch was through the forest. Emerging from the forest, I see the Haldihof farm which I have to ascend to before getting to the main road. This is the second small ascent I did this day, the rest was pretty level.

The forestry road runs parallel to the lake heading north, and "touches" the lake here, before rising up to the main road again. At the north end of the Küssnachtersee (Küssnacht arm of Lake Lucerne) is the town of Küssnacht, where my Dad lived in the 1940's. 

Heading back uphill from lake level, a look behind me at Mount Pilatus. 

At the Haldihof they have their own still and they sell all kinds of Schnapps and Brandies. Also there is a really cute Café. And peacocks wandering about. I'm not one to stop at Cafés usually, but this would have been a pleasant day for it. 

Also, there were Alpacas

Heading to the main road now (this is where we started our hike along the same trail in November 2019) and what spectacular views I am still having here! The tallest peak in the center is Mt.Brisen, a peak we summitted in August 2022

And a close-up look at Mt.Brisen on the right, and the entire crest we walked on that hike (August 2022)

A close-up view down the Engelberg Valley, directly to the south. 

After crossing the main road (where there was also a bus stop), I had another 20 minutes to walk all the way to Greppen, through more farmland at the base of Mt.Rigi. 

At this farmstead they had a very nice little shop, where I purchased a little something. 

The family that runs this farm are called Stocker, and they sold some very nice products, especially made with figs and quince. 

Winter Jasmine gives some cheery colour to the surroundings.

From the main road, a look across the rooftops of Greppen, and across Lake Küssnacht. I still had time for a quick walk down to the church. It was 2:55 p.m. and the bus would be leaving aat 3:11 p.m.   

The interior of the St.Wendelin church in Greppen. This pilgrimage church was built 1645-1647 and received renovations in the 1990's.

The pink trail is the one I did this day. The yellow trail is the one we walked in January 2020, starting at the same place, but heading eastward. And back in 2014 we walked the blue trail from Immensee to Weggis, a popular trail called the Rigi Lehnenweg. 

Because of construction on the Greppen/Weggis road, my bus was 12-minutes late, and I missed the connection for what otherwise would have been about an hour's trip home. So I took a different bus route via the train station in Küssnacht. This is the view from the train station, looking directly across the lake to the horn which I walked around. I got home 20 minutes later than originally planned, which wasn't a big deal.  

Also from the train station in Küssnacht is the view across the lake to the rapidly expanding town. Of the two little chalets in the center, the smaller one was purchased by my grandfather in the 1940's. At that time there were only about a dozen houses on that lakeside. 





No comments: