March 15, 2023

Panoramic Views of the Alps from our House Mountain: Zugerberg

Wednesday March 15th, 2023 -- For a change, Urs had to work this Wednesday, so I was on my own. On sunny days I usually like to enjoy the sun on my balcony, but sometimes I will go out for a walk on my own.

As the visibility was extremely good today, I decided on the spur of the moment to head up to our "house" mountain, Mount Zug (Zugerberg) for a short, 5-km walk from where I knew I would get some pretty good views of our local mountains such as Mt.Rigi, Mt.Pilatus, and even the Bernese Alps in Central Switzerland. We have done a lot of walks on our mountain, but there is a high spot called Hochwacht where I had not yet been. From there I walked on a short section of the Alpine Panorama Trail and caught the bus back on the road to Aegeri.

There is a look-out point down in the old town of Zug (called the Guggi), from where I know you can get a good look over the roofs and towers of our old town, and a particularly good view of the Bernese Alps far across on the other side of the lake, so to make sure I got the view before the clouds moved in, I made a stop there before heading up the mountain with the funicular.

Since I started relatively early at 10 a.m., it was still a bit chilly, especially when the clouds hid the sun, but otherwise a very nice and refreshing 90-minute local walk. Sometimes you don't have to travel far...


Heading by bus along the lake into the old part of Zug town, this view across Lake Zug and to the Alps of Central Switzerland (including the Bernese Alps) is just magnificent. 


This viewpoint is called the Guggi, and you can see the old city towers, the church towers, the lake and Mt.Rigi in particular, plus the Bernese Alps. This is at 10 a.m.

One of our old town towers

Across the roofs of old town Zug, and a better view of the Bernese Alps

Here is a very close-up view of the Alps of Central Switzerland, including the famous trio of Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau (Grindelwald/Lauterbrunnen in the Bernese Oberland). 


A 10-minute bus ride from "downtown" Zug to the funicular, and another 8-minute ride with the funicular to the top of the mountain

Zug funicular crossing on the way up to the mountain. It was a good time to go up here, we were only about 10 people in the funicular. 

Zug funicular crossing on the way up the mountain.

There is little wind right now and you can see all the reflections of the clouds on the still lake. It looked pretty neat. 

Starting on my walk from the summit station of the Zugerberg Funicular. Eventually I passed by that tower going left, but first I followed a road to the right, and came up from the forest on the other side. 

A short 5-km hike across the top of Mt. Zugerberg, via the look-out at Hochwacht, and catching the bus on the Aegeri road on the east side of the mountain. 

Mt. Zugerberg is not a very high mountain, and yet there was still plenty of snow in the forest on the east side. 

The sun-dappled forest and snow-covered trees were very pleasant to walk along!

Looks lovely with snow...

Near the tower now, a look down at the Montana International school which is near the funicular station. 

The tower which I saw from below

A view from the tower toward Mount Pilatus (Luzern's House Mountain), which is hidden in clouds

That small hill with the tree is called Hochwacht, from where you get some nice panorama views

Zugerberg Hochwacht. I took a few photos from up there but didn't stay long, as there was a cold wind blowing

From Hochwacht: The view to the East, to Unterägeri, Lake Aegeri, and the Glarnisch Alps in the background. 

Far-reaching view to the northeast, past Lake Zurich to the Toggenburg Region

To the northwest, the city of Zug is not visible, only the very west part of it where we live (in the circle) and the next town over: Steinhausen. This is the north end of Lake Zug.

And to the Southwest in the direction of the Bernese Alps in the center. Most prominent is Mt. Rigi on the left, which is at the south end of Lake Zug. 

Close-up view of the summit of Mount Rigi. (See the helicopter on the top left? Usually it's a fly or some other bug which appears on the photo).

Panorama view to the West from Hochwacht on Mount Zug

A red kite in flight

Sunshine on the frosted branches of the beautiful large trees on the Hochwacht summit

Another look toward Lake Aegeri (Aegerisee) as I head down the small hill

The only photo of me on this small walk; I put the camera on one of those fence posts for a self-timed photo!

A look behind me at the small hill with the big trees at Hochwacht

Now I've joined National Trail no.3, the "Alpine Panorama Trail"

From here my end goal is the bus stop at "Schmittli" on the main road between Zug and Unterägeri

There is still plenty of snow on these low mountains. Hopefully some warm weather will get rid of it soon!

This farm is called Brunegg, and there is a restaurant here as well. From here it's just another 15 minutes down to the bus stop on the main road. 

I really wanted to scratch this girl's forehead, but all she wanted to do was slobber all over my hands with her very long tongue!!

So many walks around our city of Zug and our mountain. The one in light blue is the 5-km walk I did this day. 



No comments: