April 5, 2023

High Above Lake Uri from Morschach to Sisikon

Wednesday April 5, 2023 -- Second day of hiking on my own, and it was quite cold again. Because of the cold morning and expectation of afternoon sunshine on the East side of Lake Uri, I started quite late again, at just after 1 p.m., to get as much sunshine as possible on my 2-1/4 hour hike.

Because the Uri Alps had looked so beautiful the day before (photos HERE), I chose to walk from Morschach (at the base station of the Stoos cable-way) near Brunnen to Sisikon on Lake Uri, with a view of the same mountains to the south of me this time. Even though there were more clouds this time, the views were still fantastic, especially when looking to the north to the bend in the lake and Brunnen and Mt. Rigi as a backdrop.

Back in July 2014 we actually walked quite a similar stretch, also starting in Morschach, but lower down, and following a section of Trail no.99: "The Swiss Path", a trail created in 1991 to commemorate the 700th anniversary of the Swiss Confederacy. (Those photos are worth looking at, as the landscape was much greener and the air clarity perfect.--> HERE) I joined the same trail about half-way through, but because I started higher up, I had a completely different view. It was a wonderful hike and a good day for it. 

I ended up in Sisikon at 3:45 p.m., almost 30 minutes early for a train back home, so I spent the rest of the time at the lakeshore. This fabulous location is also less than a one-hour trip for us by public transit, and it's not even boring to do the same trails a second time. 

This time I took my tripod along, so I could be in some of the photos. (Unfortunately the photos to the South are slightly dark...)

Interesting note: Most of the hike was in Canton Schwyz, but crossing into Canton Uri just before reaching the village of Sisikon

Heading up to the Stoos Cable-Way station by bus, this is a look to the north across the large open farmland of Ibach and Schwyz

The cable-car station is the final stop of this bus run from the city of Brunnen. Note: No cars in the parking lot? This is because the cableway is in revision this week. The bus driver was surprised that I got out here, as he thought I wanted to ride the cable-way. In the background are the prominent peaks above the town of Schwyz, namely Klein & Gross Mythen (Small and Large Mythen)

Behind me are the peaks of Niederbauen and Oberbauenstock, on the West side of Lake Uri. I'm headed in that basic direction. 

Whereas the lower trail is called "The Swiss Path", this upper one is the Panorama Trail. A good choice for this day!

This is where I did the 8-km hike on the east side of Lake Uri and below the cliffs of Mt. Fronalpstock. The border of the two Cantons Schwyz and Uri is down the center of the Riemenstalden Valley, and just North of Sisikon. Even the lake is shared by the two Cantons!

A look behind me (to the north and the two Mythen mountains) as I head southwest along the panorama trail. 

Walking along the panorama trail

Now I get a good look at the village of Morschach below me, and Brunnen at the back on the lake. The bus passed through here on the way to the cable-car station. The mountain in back is part of the Rigi range. 

Down below me is the Marienkapelle (Maria Chapel) which belongs to the Catholic Order of the Pallottines. We visited the chapel and graveyard when we passed through on the lower trail in 2014. (Those photos are HERE)

And now the view of the Uri Alps to the southwest. This is the view I had for the whole hike down to Sisikon at lake level. 

A good place to stop for a picnic lunch. There was a cold wind blowing, but enough sunshine.

Panorama view from my picnic bench to the north, to the city of Brunnen on the lake, where the lake bends to become Lake Luzern, or the Vierwaldstättersee. On the left is Mt. Seelisberg. At its base (in the circle) is the Rütli Meadow where the signing of the Swiss Confederacy took place in 1291. (I did a hike to that meadow in 2021, those photos are HERE)

Here the Panorama Trail joins the "Swiss Path No.99". The cliffs to the east are part of the popular Mt. Fronalpstock. 

More of this fantastic view of Lake Uri and the Uri Alps. In particular, the mountain in the center is Mt. Gitschen, which featured in the hike I did the day before. (HERE)

Down below me is the town of Sisikon, which is actually across the border in Canton Uri. From here I took a train back home, after spending about 30 minutes down in the small park at the corner of the campground

Taking a break and watching a Black Redstart (Hausrotschwanz) consume a beetle it collected out of the meadow nearby

Since Urs wasn't with me, I had to do the honors of purchasing a local cheese for him! This was cheese from the Lidener Alp which is at the back of the Riemenstalden Valley (accessed via Sisikon), a place we have been many times!

Descent to Sisikon. A large section were steps like these, a very easy descent. 

A look behind me at the hillside I just walked down. 

A lovely path through the forest, well-laid out as part of the "Swiss Path"

Getting closer to the bottom now, another view of Sisikon and the Uri Alps across the lake, mainly Mts. Niederbauen and Oberbauenstock. 

Campground in Sisikon. Lots of campers here in anticipation of the Easter Weekend. Unfortunately, the weather forecast isn't great, and definitely too cold to go in the water! I had some time to spend until the train came, so I went to that tiny park there. From there the mountains at the south end of the lake look fantastic. 

An interesting detail on our trail markers, to show that this is part of "The Swiss Path"

The flowers of the moment are daffodils and narcissi

Down at the park on the lake, enjoying the view

Some "Selfies" looking to the north along the lake. Earlier, I was in the pastures above the cliff (behind me). 

A look down Lake Uri with Mt. Gitschen in the background

A zoomed view of the beautiful Mt. Gitschen and the snow-covered Uri Alps (to the Surenen Pass)


Catching the 16:14 S-Bahn train back home (Just 50 minutes and I'm back home!)

What my 8-km hike looks like on Google Satellite maps

All the hikes we have done in this area. The Lidener Alp (where the cheese came from) is on the upper right. 

On the way home by train, just before Arth Goldau, one of my favourite views south across Lake Lauerz (Lauerzersee) to the two Mythen mountains. My hike took place at where the arrow is. 

Fruit trees are finally starting to blossom!

A familiar view as the train travels north along the east side of Lake Zug



No comments: