June 9, 2021

Back to Stöcklichrüz in Canton Schwyz: Willerzell to Pfäffikon

(Note: Due to 6 hikes within 9 days, I am only getting around to doing up this album on June 9th, a week after the actual hike)

Tuesday June 1, 2021
-- Two days earlier, on Saturday May 29, Urs and I walked a section of the "Alpine Panorama Trail no.3" from Egg to Lachen in Canton Schwyz (photos are HERE), but I was so disappointed at the lack of view that I determined to come back again (alone) today, on my day off, as the weather this day was to be quite fantastic.

I decided to do a slight variation of the excursion we did on Saturday, so as not to walk exactly the same trail, and yet still starting near Lake Sihlsee and ending on the Lake Zurich side, passing over the peak called Stöcklichrüz, which we crossed on Saturday as well. Besides the better weather, I felt this was a much nicer trail as well, more soft meadow trails and better views (because of the lake).

I started very early, arriving at my starting point of Willerzell before 9 a.m. The plan was to approach the Stöcklichrüz peak from the South instead of the North, via the mountain restaurant Gueteregg where I stopped for refreshments and to bask in the view of the Glarner Mountains which we didn't see before. From there I continued to the Stöcklichrüz from where we could clearly see Mt. Säntis in the far East, and then I descended to the North via the Etzel Pass and St.Meinrad (one of many pilgrim chapels along the St.James Trail) to the nearest bus stop above Pfäffikon. In the end, this excursion was about 30 minutes longer than Saturday's, 4.5 hours (and 15 km!!!), but successfully completed even with going the wrong way twice.

I'd say the only negative aspects were that the beautiful meadows have almost disappeared because the farmers were taking advantage of a 3-day good-weather streak to finally get the grass cut for drying. And the other is that Urs could not be there to enjoy this wonderful hike with me. (Oh, and I also lost a nice jacket on the train....no one has returned it to the SBB lost-and-found yet, a week later).

On Saturday May 29 we walked from Egg via Stöcklichrüz to Lachen. On Tuesday June 1 I walked from Willerzell via Stöcklichrüz direction Pfäffikon. That way I could get the view with the better weather, but not do exactly the same hike....

From Einsiedeln I took a small bus (I was the only passenger!!!) across Lake Sihlsee to the start of my hike in Willerzell on the East side. This view South along Lake Sihlsee already gives me way more view of the mountains than on Saturday!

Start of my hike in Willerzell at 9 a.m. on the East side of Lake Sihlsee (below is the bridge we crossed on the little van-bus)

From here it's only 90 minutes to the restaurant at Güeteregg, which is a little South of Stöcklichrüz. The trail was like this most of the way, an easy, pleasant ascent

With the (finally) 3-day stretch of nice weather, all the farmers are now scrambling to mow and dry the grass for their cows. Leaf-blowers are my nemesis, and we hear them on a lot of our hikes, but it sure makes the work easier for the farmer (than raking by hand, like the ladies are doing).

I barely got a few meters up the hill, when I had to change into my shorts. It's barely after 9 a.m.!

Curious cows are coming to see what I'm up to!

A look down at the village of Willerzell.

A wider look at the region of Willerzell and Sihlsee. Einsiedeln is just over the hill on the right.

The whole ascent was along a type of ridge, where I could see both North and South. Sometimes, you walk through farmyards like this

Walking up along a type of ridge where I can see both to the North and the South

Panorama view to the West

I made good time to the farm at Güeteregg, and stopped here for something to drink

I treated myself to an Einsiedler beer while enjoying the view of the Schwyz and Glarus Alps.

At 11 a.m., there aren't many people here yet. There will surely be more coming for a light lunch!

To the South the Tödi massif (3614m) is well visible (the round-topped one). This is the highest peak in the Glarner Alps

To the North I can see the summit of Stöcklichrüz, which is where I'm headed. In the background is Lake Obersee, the Southern part of Lake Zürich.

Looking behind me as I head North once again, what a spectacular view of the Schwyz and Glarus Alps

Caught on "film", a kestrel hovering over its prey...


VIDEO:
Kestrel getting ready to dive



So now I'm back at the Stöcklichrüz peak....On Saturday we walked from Egg to Lachen, today I started in Willerzell and am going direction Pfäffikon via St. Meinrad

Just my luck, someone is burning something and making the air hazy, but it's still a much better view than a couple of days earlier! Across the valley to the right is the farm at Güeteregg, where I had my beer!

Zoomed view of the farm at Güeteregg, and in the background the Silberen mountains in the Muotathal. 

A couple of days earlier, the snow-capped mountains were hidden in cloud

Many tries until I got this self-timed picture right! Look at all the beautiful mountains in the background, including the two Mythen peaks (town of Schwyz).

To the north a very nice look at Lakes Zurich (on the left) and Obersee (on the right), town of Lachen on the right below, and Pfäffikon just at the isthmus. Across the lake is Rapperswil. 

Zoomed view of the castle at Rapperswil on the opposite side of the lake. 

The view to the East is so clear we can see all the way to Mt. Säntis in the Alpstein

Three days earlier:  So sad.

Now I am heading back down on a bit of an alternate trail, with a view North across Lake Zürich. On Saturday we came up the road in the center of the photo

My trail heads East again, with a view of Lake Sihlsee and the peaks of the two Mythen. Einsiedeln is right behind that hill. 

More lovely soft trails

Approaching the restaurant Chörnlisegg from the South. On Saturday we had lunch there. Very noticeable are the large mowed meadows, where the grass can dry nicely in this heat.

Today is "Ruhetag", or a day off the for restaurant at Chörnlisegg, where we had lunch on Saturday. 

I took this picture to compare to what it looking like on Saturday!

The view on Saturday

After crossing this farmland, I plan to descend in front of that hill on the left, which is the Etzel Pass. 

Busy, busy mowing (and drying) the meadows

A really really nice look at the Mythen mountains from this side.

I missed the turn-off for my trail and took a little detour to this barn. I lost about 15 minutes doing this!!! But cows are always good.

A look down at Lake Zurich

View of the Mythen from St. Meinrad

St.Meinrad at the Etzel Pass. This is one of hundreds of chapels along the St.James Pilgrim Trail. 

St.Meinrad Chapel at the Etzel Pass. In the year 825, a monk named Meinrad from the Reichenau Monastery on Lake Constance, came over this pass and built a small abode here. After 7 years he continued southward in a region that was all forest at the time, and lived for 25 years in the spot where later the huge Einsiedeln Monastery was built.

I took another wrong turn on my descent from the Etzel Pass and ended up having to cross a meadow with hip-high grasses! Good view of Lake Zurich though! from here I had to make my way back to the forest trail. 

End of the trail: A bus stop on the road from Pfäffikon to Schindeleggi. I had already walked for 15 km, and didn't feel like going all the way down to Pfäffikon on the lake...

A 15-km, 4.5-hour hike on my own, and I wasn't even tired and didn't have sore feet! That's because the weather was perfect and the trail was superb....








No comments: