January 29, 2024

Hike to the Beringen View Tower in the Randen Hills near Schaffhausen

Monday January 29, 2024 -- I had to deliver something to Schaffhausen, in the very northernmost part of the country, and was hoping to do a nice walk in that region as we don't get there often... But unfortunately for me, it was a widespread foggy day and the whole way there (a 90-minute trip) I could not have found a nice place to return to walk in.

But webcams showed a lifting of the fog in the upper plateau above the city of Schaffhausen in the Randen Mountains surrounded on three sides by Germany, so I took a bus ride there to check it out, and I did manage about two hours of sunshine, climbing up from a village called Beringen to the view tower on the hill 200m higher up, and then walking back toward the city of Schaffhausen, from where I caught a bus just where the fog level started.

It wasn't the best day for a view from a look-out tower, but it was the only place I didn't have to travel too far for some sunshine.

Passing the Rhine Falls (largest by volume in Europe) on my way to Schaffhausen, this is a view I always like to photograph, with the castle on the hill. This day it was all shrouded in fog, and even worse on my way back. 

The fog had lifted by the time the bus from Schaffhausen reached the upper elevations, so I got out in Beringen with the intention of walking up to the Beringen Tower (at the arrow). 

A closer look at the Beringen Tower. Even if the day wasn't great for a view, at least I'd have sunshine up there! 

This is the Evangelical church in Beringen. A metal plate at the gate claimed there was more information inside the church, but I checked all the doors, and they were locked. 

As with so many churches in Switzerland, there are records of a church standing here since the 13th Century, probably made of wood, and whose remnants are gone. A church here is also mentioned in documents of 1462, but this one received expansions and renovations from 1580 onwards, basically obliterating the original build. 

Cool airplane passing low overhead, and flying very slowly!

Starting at 12:20 in Beringen, I had to ascend 200 meters to the Beringer Randenturm, which I reached at 1 p.m. Had my lunch there, and then continued in the direction of Schaffhausen at 13:35, and got on the bus at 2:30 p.m. So I was up here for about two hours. 

I got to the tower at 1 p.m. after a 30-minute uphill hike (200 meters). 

Details of the tower: Built in 1998, the tower is 26 meters high and has 137 steps. It cost 260,000 Fr. to build. Here we are at only 676 meters above sea level. 

The view to the northwest from the top platform across this upper plateau. This north-south valley has the unfortunate name of "Lieblosetaal", which means "Loveless Valley". This whole plateau here, which is still in Switzerland, forms the southwestern end of the German "Schwäbische Alb"

To the west and below is the town of Beringen where I started my hike. We had a much nicer day when we did a previous hike to two other view towers in these hills. (Those photos are HERE)

And to the south, the fog is pressing over the hills onto the plateau. So no hiking through those hills for me! Way in the distance I could see the profile of the Alps above the fog, but it was very hazy. 

And in the far east, that peak is called the Hohenstoffeln, which is actually a peak in Baden-Württemberg, Germany. (It is 841 meters, has volcanic origins). 

Back off the tower, I had my picnic lunch in the sun here (the small kiosk-restaurant here is not open at this time of year) and continued on my walk in the direction of Schaffhausen at about 1:30 p.m. 

Even though I had sunshine here, you can see the light fog still lingering on the plateau. 

Here was a small stream and large pond I wanted to look at: The "Eschheimer Weiher". It is a protected nature reserve of national importance because it is a delicate spawning ground for various amphibians. 

I walked along the edge of the pond to get a good look, but it was mostly hidden by a thick border of bushes and trees. 

As I got closer to the city, the fog got thicker. 

Fog rolling in

On the final kilometer of my walk and the 100-meter descent to the bus stop, I got back into the fog blanket. 

They are also enjoying the milder weather! (My phone battery died about here, and I had no back-up. It is surprisingly difficult to navigate without my phone, as I lost my orientation and had to ask several road workers where the bus stop was!)

Back at the train station platform in Schaffhausen at 14:45. . No let-up of fog here. 

These are the hikes we have done in the Randen Hills above Schaffhausen. The pink one is the one I did this day. 

Location of the Randen Mountains in Switzerland. This region has weird and convoluted borders with Germany, and is actually the southwestern end of the Schwäbische Alb 

By the time I got back to Zurich, the fog had lifted here. One of my favourite views traveling south along Lake Zurich. 

Traveling south along Lake Zurich shortly before 4 p.m. 

And here is the view shortly before reaching Zug. 




No comments: