October 13, 2019

Hike in the Tremola Valley, along the Fascinating Tremola Highway

Sunday October 13, 2019 -- Once again Urs had a previous commitment, so once again I headed out on my own to try once again the hike near the Gotthard Pass, which I had wanted to do a few weeks earlier, but aborted because of a fog cloud. And once again I almost didn't follow through, as the sky was overcast and the general atmosphere was pretty drab.

But this was the last day that most of the buses made the trip to the mountain passes, so I really had nothing to lose in getting on the bus. Turns out it was a good decision, as the air cleared up soon afterward and it was almost like summer to hike the easy, level 60 minutes along the cliff trail to the pass, and then another two hours next to the old Tremola Highway all the way back to Airolo.

N.B. The Old Tremola Highway was the first "paved" road to cross the Gotthard Pass, built between 1827 and 1832 and reconstructed in 1951. On the most spectacular section the road has 24 bends, is six to seven metres wide and bordered by retaining walls up to eight meters thick. Plus the road is all cobblestoned! It is an absolute marvel and was loads of fun to walk down.



As I got off the train in Airolo on the South side of the Gotthard Tunnel and looked up toward the Gotthard Pass (upper right) it was looking pretty drab, and I almost got on the next train back home.

But I had nothing to lose to take the bus up toward the pass, and I am glad I did, as when I got off the bus at the start of my hike, the sun was starting to shine and I had this splendid view of the Leventina Valley

And in the other direction, the Gotthard Pass, which I could reach in about an hour on a good, level trail.

I started at the Belvedère bus stop, walked an hour to the Gotthard Pass, and then downhill two hours back to Airolo

The trail was along a steep cliff but it was wide and easy to walk
 
All along the way I had a view down on the old Tremola Road

On this side of the Tremola Valley, the walking trail goes along the new highway up to the Gotthard Pass

Another view down the Tremola Valley toward Airolo. This is where I walked down, along this marvelous road
The beautiful Tremola Road



On this side the trail goes next to the new road. Luckily there was a way to pass to the left, I would not have attempted the passage through the water.

Near the pass. The lighting on the water was special

I discovered that this spot is on the "Grand Tour of Switzerland". Without my partner to take pictures, I could not get the road behind me in the frame as well.

The buildings (including a hotel) at the Gotthard Pass. The bus stops there as well. I didn't need to go there, I've been there a few times already, so this time I just walked around the hill to the right and headed back down the valley

This place is called "Chapel of the Dead" (Cappella dei Morti). Behind it is a small lake called Lago dei Morti.

A good place for lunch with a view of the road and in the middle of the blueberries (dessert close by!)

Across the valley, a close-up view of the trail I walked on into the valley

Far and wide only one other person on the trail

The road is paved with cobblestones

Alway fun to drive up a winding road in an old convertible! This was almost cliché

Spectacular.

Just as spectacular seen from below

The trail passes under the new Gotthard Road
 
Airolo in sight, soon at my destination

The church in Airolo

From the train station back in Airolo, I can see where I started my hike.

My 3-hour hike to the Gotthard Pass and down to Airolo through the Tremola Valley

We have done a lot of hiking in this area! This trail was a connecting piece that was missing.








No comments: