March 14, 2017

Switzerland to Germany to Switzerland across the Rhine River

March 14th, 2017 -- My day off and a beautiful Spring Day, I decided to do a short walk (7 km) along the Rhine River, on the Swiss-German border. It's not quite 50km as the crow flies, but it takes about 1.5 hours with public transport to get to the border.

I walked mostly on the German side this time, for two reasons: 1. The Swiss side was in deep shadow and I had the sunshine (but I was dressed too warmly!) and 2. I needed to ship a package to the USA, and let's face it, I'm not that patriotic if a package to America costs 3x more to ship from Switzerland than from Germany.

Walking or riding bikes along the Rhine River is entertaining, as you can cross often: Sometimes you're in one country, sometimes in the other.

After mailing the package in Hohentengen in Germany, I walked back across the Rhine River to the charming village of Kaiserstuhl in Switzerland to catch a train back home. Oh, and that's when I noticed that my jacket was missing. Seems to have gotten waylaid along the way, due to having been dressed too warmly...


I started on the Swiss side, crossed over the Hydro Electric Plant to the German side, then walked along the Rhine River in Germany to Hohentengen to mail my package, then back again to Switzerland. A 6.5-km walk on a beautiful Spring Day.

Eglisau Hydro Electric Plant... I walked across that to get from Switzerland to Germany.

Walking through the woods along the Rhine River.

Walking along the Rhine River. The Swiss side is in shadow.

Village of Hohentengen in the Province of Baden, Germany

The bridge to cross the Rhine River back to Switzerland. The village is called Kaiserstuhl.

At the border crossing is the old insignia of the German Province of Baden. 
Statue of St. Nepomuk, Patron Saint of Bridges. In the back on the right, the tollhouse.

From the Swiss side looking across at Rötteln Castle in Germany.
Rhine River at Kaiserstuhl, Switzerland


Kaiserstuhl, Switzerland

Kaiserstuhl, Switzerland

Kaiserstuhl, Switzerland

Kaiserstuhl, Switzerland

The roofs in front are in Switzerland, and the little chapel is in Germany. 

No comments: