February 14, 2017

Two Very Different Hikes in the Valais: Day 1

February 14, 2016 -- Our special Valentine's treat was an overnight in my favourite part of Switzerland, the Valais (South / Southeast, the region near the Matterhorn where the highest mountains of the Swiss Alps are located). 

As I always have two "weekends" every week (Tuesday/Wednesday), on this Tuesday I hiked on my own (10 km), opting for a wonderful spring hike on the sunny side of the Rhône Valley with views into the Matter Valley to those beautiful snow-covered 4000+ peaks, including the highest mountain that is totally on Swiss soil: Mount Dom, at 4545 meters. 

I also love this area because there are old and historical irrigation channels, most of them still in use, which are a huge part of the history of this area, many of them having been built at great risk to bring water from the mountains into this rather dry valley. The trails run along these channels and are great fun to walk.

Spring is well on its way here and the lovely Valais Black-Nosed Sheep are out in the fields, and they are also a reason I love this area.

Urs joined me in the evening for our weekly Wednesday hike, which was a totally different hike, not 30 km away, but 1500 m higher up... (to be continued)

I started my hike in Lalden (near Visp) in the Rhône Valley, many old barns in this village


First I had to hike almost straight up to the railway tracks. Most of the hike was along the railway. It's called the South Ramp and it comes from the North through the Lötschberg tunnel from Kandersteg, and then runs along the South Flank of the mountains to Brig. 

Looking eastward into the Rhône Valley

Looking South across Visp into the Matter Valley. The peaks at the back are all over 4000m.

The 4000+ peaks of the Valais


The little dome-shaped peak left of center is called Mount Dom, the highest mountain in Switzerland that is entirely on Swiss soil (4545m = 14,911 ft).  It is the highest in this group but looks smaller because it is further back.


I am heading West along the irrigation ditches (this one is called Laldneri Suon), the Rhône Valley on my left.

The trails along the irrigation ditches are interesting to walk.

Looking west down the Rhône Valley, I am walking along the South Ramp of the BLS railway.

This was my spot for lunch, in the Baltschieder Valley. I had to walk into this valley and out again along the trail.


This is the BLS train that runs along the South Ramp line. To cross this gorge, I had to walk into the Baltschieder Valley and back out, crossing the river further up. This is on my way out.

Back in the Rhône Valley again, continuing westward.

I have no one to photograph me today, have to rely on some self-timed photos....

The pretty Valais Black-Nosed Sheep are already in the fields, my 2nd-favourite Swiss Animal.

Here's one getting a "woolcut"

These sheep are waiting their turn for their haircuts!


Before heading up to our hotel in Unterbäch, I catch the old church in Raron just as the mountain shadows hit the Rhône Valley bottom. Unterbäch is on the hill on the South Side of the Rhone Valley, and can best be accessed by cable car....


From Lalden I climbed up to the Railway Tracks of the BLS South Ramp Line, then walked into the Baltschieder Valley along the old irrigation line (one of many in this valley) where I stopped for lunch at the river before crossing to the other side. I took a detour to the railway bridge before heading to my destination at Ausserberg. Total 10 km. 


(Photos of DAY 2 of our 2-day trip can be viewed HERE)


No comments: