June 22, 2016

Bike Ride down the Engelberg Valley

(This post created and published on Feb.5, 2023)

Wednesday June 22, 2016 -- A beautiful day not to be wasted but I was own my own for this excursion.

I took my bike on the train (1hr, 25 minutes) to the town of Engelberg, from where I first pedaled toward the back of the valley into the side valley called "End of the World" (Ende der Welt), then further on to the waterfalls near the base station of the Fürenalp cableway, and then back to Engelberg, and then joined the Engelberger Aa River as it emerges from the gorge. From there I followed the river all the way to Stans, inspecting cable cars along the way for future hikes.

In all, it was a non-strenuous 32-km bike ride with some very beautiful scenery, wonderful smells of the freshly-mown grass, and surprisingly large amounts of snow in the mountains for this late in June. But by the time I reached Stans it was almost too hot in the sun, and I was glad to get back on the train. I started at about 11 a.m. and ended about 3:30 p.m.  

Starting in Engelberg, I headed east toward the back of the valley

A close-up shot toward the back of the Engelberg Valley (the valley actually continues to the left).

This side valley to the North is called "End of the World". I did a detour here first 

I actually didn't know it was called "End of the World" until I saw the name of this restaurant here!

What an interesting wood carving!

The wood carving from the other side. It looks so real!


Continuing on now to the back of the valley. This path was so easy to ride on!

The waterfalls near the valley station of the Fürenalp cable-way. This is as far as I wanted to go, as my main goal was to ride out of the valley. 


Now I've turned around and am heading back toward Engelberg.

A section of path next to the river, and a look back behind me.

The view into that side valley to the north, called "End of the World". 

Everywhere the farmers were using this hot weather to cut their grass to make hay. It always smells so nice when they do this.

Passing through the parking lot of the Engelberg-Titlis cable-way parking lot. Loads and loads of buses always park here, mostly with Asian tourists who all want to go up to the summit of Mt. Titlis. (Year-round snow there). 

Riding along Engelberg's signature lake: Eugenisee

I would have liked to be on the photo, but could find nowhere to set up my camera for a self-timed photo!

At this old Roman bridge across the Engelberger Aa River is the start of the hiking trail down the Aa Gorge. Bikes are not allowed, so I had to take the road to meet the river at the bottom end of the gorge. 

Down below is the power plant's reservoir lake. That's where I was able to join the trail along the river. 

Leading a dangerous life. I moved him to the right side of the road, I hope that was what he had in mind!

Time for a picnic lunch along the river. 

A look up-river near Grafenort

The Bielen cable-car, very popular with paragliders. I watched several of them land in the nearby field. 

Approaching a landing near the Bielen cable-way.

Another look up-valley as I continue in the other direction

On the other side of the railway line, a family is busy cutting and raking the hay to dry it as quickly as possible. Often this is all done by hand. 

This is the Hinterdiegisbalm cable-car near Wolfenschiessen, also a favourite of paragliders. All these small cable-ways are privately-owned by farmers at the top, but subsidized by the government for public use. Usually you pay at the top...

A lovely wooden covered bridge near Wolfenschiessen

A final look up valley as I rest in the shade near Dallenwil, on the final stretch to the train station in Stans. 

An easy, approx. 30-km bike ride down the Engelberg Valley. 



No comments: