September 21, 2015

Trans Swiss Trail from Gotthard Pass to Hospental

(This post created on August 26, 2024)

Monday September 21, 2015 -- I'm still amazed that I can cross THROUGH to the South side of the Alps and head up to a mountain pass at over 2000m in just 2 hours!

It's back to work for Urs but I had to take advantage of this superb weather for a "breaking in" hike of just two hours, walking from the Gotthard Pass to Hospental in the Urseren Valley, which runs approx. East/West right across the center of the Alps. This path is a part of the Trans Swiss Trail and was used in the past to transport goods via packhorse.

From Hospental, another two-hour train ride gets me back home, traveling through the ever-stunning Reuss Valley, my favourite stretch in Switzerland.

(I'm glad I did this hike this week, as it snowed up here on September 23rd!)

Heading south along the Reuss Valley by train. The views here are never boring. (This is the town of Wassen)

From Airolo just south of the Alps you take a Post Bus up to the Gotthard Pass. That road is the old Tremola Road, built between 1827 and 1832 with cobblestones, 4 km with 24 bends!

Gotthard Pass, at 2090 meters. This is where I started my hike, heading north. 

This lake is called Lago della Piazza. 

According to the trail marker, it's only two hours to Hospental! Not a very tough hike...

A self-timed photo at the Lago della Piazza.

The old Gotthard Road, built from 1827 to 1832, was made of cobblestones.

The old Gotthard Road

This is the Lucendro Dam. Up above the dam is a loop trail that we hiked in 2013, it goes past five lakes.

The old mule trail across the top of the mountains here was also laid out in cobblestones. It was used by the Romans many many centuries ago!

A good spot for my picnic lunch


This was the first time I was scared of a cow. She kept head-butting me and pushing me toward the river. I wondered what would happen if I started to run! 

Looking back up the valley toward the pass

And this view is down the valley in the direction I am walking. 

The river here is called the Gotthard Reuss.


The "Gazebo" behind me is actually an air vent for the 17-km long Gotthard Tunnel. While walking past, you can hear the river on one side and the traffic on the other!

Looking up the valley

Looking up the valley

Starting the descent into the Urseren Valley, which runs East/West.

Panorama view over the village of Hospental, the end of my hike. 

This view is toward Andermatt (Northeast). At the top of the mountain are four wind turbines

Zoomed-in photo of the top of the mountain above Andermatt.

Quaint town of Hospental with its charming houses and tower ruins (dating from 1277)




On the train from Hospental to Andermatt, looking down the Urseren Valley. This is the Furkareuss River. 

Andermatt

The famous Devil's Bridge on the short stretch back down through the Schöllen Gorge into the Reuss Valley, by cogwheel train.

My walk from the Gotthard Pass to Hospental in the Urseren Valley was about 9½ kilometers , South to North.


No comments: